Saturday, October 25, 2008

my thoughts (part 1)

In the early sections of Madame Bovary i was a little confused on why Charles and Emma even got married in the first place. Although, the way that Flaubert used such great detail to describe the wedding really made me feel as if I was right there too, it also distracted me. It did help me to picture the image of this great wedding but in many parts of this novel it seemed like the author went a little overboard. Too much detail in some areas made the book more dull then exciting. There were definitely sections were I felt like I would be totally fine setting the book right down and not caring about what might happen later on. Now back to the book, I felt as if Charles was very excited and in love and Emma was sort of just like ok sure I’ll marry you. Then after they got married this idea just got stronger in my mind. Emma seemed so caught up in her pre-conceded notions of passion and true love from her books that she couldn't just learn to love on her own. Charles is very pleased with the marriage and Emma seems almost as if she is disappointed and wants out. The contrast that Flaubert creates between characters really sets up the book to have characters take on stronger roles. Then to elaborate even more on the fact of Emma’s discontent, later at the ball Emma is even embarrassed by Charles and does not want to represent herself along with him. Throughout the entire section one of Madame Bovary it seemed that it was mainly based on both an emotional and physical struggle within herself (Emma). At this point in the book I still hadn't decided what to think but it was definitely not my favorite book. It really dragged on way more about each event then was necessary.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

I think it's fair to claim that the novel 'drags on' with its accumulation of detail (which, I though you interestingly pointed out, can both enhance our read--by making us feel as if we are right there with the characters--and detract from it--perhaps because the nature of the details are such that we wind up not really caring about these people and their petty problems).

Regardless, I'm anxious to hear what you think of Barnes' novel, and whether or not it helps you to understand (if not, ultimately, appreciate) the novel on which it is partly based.