Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hammy

Personally, i thoroughly enjoyed Hamlet. The themes it addressed kept me intrigued and my mind wondering. I found the familial aspect and the respect for royal blood to be my main point of focus. The obligations and desires of each family member send the plot spiraling downward to one final, climactic scene; the fencing match between Laertes and Hamlet. This scene depicts everything Shakespeare was trying to convey with this work. The struggle between life and death, hesitation, and absolutes.
The introduction of Fortinbras and his ability to act brashly provides the plot with two ends to a spectrum. You have Fortinbras who conquers Denmark on a whim, without hesitation, and then you have Hamlet, who cannot act without first thinking the situation over deeply, often resulting in overthinking, which then results in a missed opportunity and a contribution to his self-destruction.

2 comments:

stuhunt said...

spot on Clayton. I felt this post summed up everything that i felt when i read it. The description of Hamlet is by far my most favorite part of this post. His self-destruction is perfectly portrayed with your description. All in all a good post and i can relate with all of your thoughts on a strong level.

Anonymous said...

But if an inability to act is followed by self-destruction, then is Shakespeare trying to say that those who think are ultimately doomed? I'm not sure if I agree with what you're saying but I think you may be on to something with the relationship between the sort of man you are and how you interact with your family (in Hamlet's case, dying with them all). Good post!
alexis