Thursday, November 6, 2008

Flaubert's Parrot

This is by far my favorite book we've read this year.  I think I like it so much because Barnes' train of thought is pretty identical to mine.  He starts with one thing and quickly gets sidetracked from there and continues to get sidetracked time and time again until both the reader and Branes has forgotten what he was talking about.  For some this may seem confusing but for me it keeps the book interesting.  Who knows what tangent Barnes will get onto on the next page.  While Branes does get sidetracked often he still manages to keep the book revolving around Flaubert and his parrot.  Although it's been a while since the parrot came up.  
One thing that Barnes keeps doing that I feel should have some significant meaning is he keeps using numbers.  He uses dates to give us a sense of when Flaubert did something.  He uses numbers to list books that should be banned and I think that there must be some underlying meaning to Barnes' fascination with numbers.  In the past few sections we have encountered numbers in at least two places if not more, so either Barnes is following the perfect outline of postmodernism, he's trying to relay and underlying meaning through his numbers, his so random that he just puts numbers down when they pop into his head or a combination of the three.  Personally I'm leaning to a combination or the last one.  
I have truly enjoyed reading Barnes because nothing is predictable, nothing is sappy and romantic everything is either blunt or so random that you can't help but laugh or rather cackle out loud.  

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the book (and that its randomness is enticing rather than off putting). I'm anxious to see what your essay will be about!