Sunday, November 2, 2008

Those Controversial Eyes...

What I've found after reading through chapter six is that I really like Barnes' writing when he's specifically NOT solely writing about Flaubert. For analyzing purposes, obviously all the book written in purely biographer mode is important, but for the more casual-reading, enjoyable side of me I like when Barnes' voice really shines through and the tone is more light and personal. For example, in Emma Bovary's Eyes, his dislike for critics which is incorporated with elements of Flaubert is quite ideal. While still quoting Flaubert and other authors many times, Barnes' voice shines through and his (or Braithwaite's technically) opinions are made about a topic. I really like the way he analyzes many aspects of Dr. Enid Starkie's statement about Emma's changing eye color by providing alternate examples and how an argument is made before you know it. Even though Braithwaite/Barnes states his opinion and position on the topic right off the bat, the development of the argument comes together at the very end of the chapter, unlike a lot of assertions that authors make. The last lines of the chapter exemplify my point: "Now do you understand why I hate critics? I could try and describe to you the expression in my eyes at this moment; but they are far too discoloured with rage." There is a definite voice and tone that comes through, the final opinion is alluded to and the subject of the entire chapter is summed up with a somewhat ironic (?) witty statement. Basically - I like Barnes.... but not so much as a biographer.

2 comments:

David Lavender said...

Interesting that what appeals to you most is the 'voice' of our narrator (and I think you're right, it is very engaging). Is it ironic, then, that in an ostensible 'biography', the one we seem to be getting close to is the biographer, even as his subject recedes?

Hmmm...

A good post!

Maddie Crowell said...

I agree with you about Barnes' ability to be a great biographer. I feel that his writing is almost too outside the box for one person. He has so many ideas that ramble all over the place that I am confused of what Barnes' true purpose of the novel is.