Wednesday, November 5, 2008

responce

My first reaction to the last bit of reading is that i simply don;t understand were Barnes is going. He flips around, changes point of view, changes time but then i realize Barnes is accomplishing what he set out to do. He's giving me a complete knowledge of Flaubert, form many different point of views and people. You begin to understand just exactly why Flaubert uses such dark humor. He was a bitter guy, and seemed to lash out at people around him, never sugar coating things or putting anything but a realistic, maybe even pessimistic view on things. With his negative review of Louise Colet's writing, and his over all rudeness to her just reflects that he no longer really cares for relationships as all his have ended in death. I still find this book to be quite dull, apart from the occasional dark humor that makes me laugh. I truly understand Madame Bovary much more now, the tone, the theme, the characters, etc. I wish we had read this before Madame Bovary.

4 comments:

Brittany Altman said...

I couldnt agree with you more at first it seemed really dumb and all over the place but once you finally put it all together it totally made sense. Flaubert seems kindof dark and synical but then again uses that to be witty and somewhat comical

Kirk said...

I think that Barnes is trying to give a view of Flaubert, as he talks about the "Flaubert Dictionary" he is writing. However I also believe he has many more ideas in his story that he wants people to know, like what is the truth, and the virtues of critics, and there's a few more out there, I'm sure of it!

colors of the rainbow said...

I agree with the beginning of your blog but i would have to disagree with the part about how it gets better. I dont like the dark humor either

David Lavender said...

First off, response has an 's' (it's good to cultivate habits like spelling properly or capitalizing 'I'). Regardless, I'd be interested in some examples of the "dark humor" you enjoy (or don't enjoy--as Madison seems to see it). Good post, but try and take your own good observations even further.