Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dry Mystery?

Written as a postmodern novel, Flaubert's Parrot is greatly diverse and seems somewhat unfocused. The desire of the narrator, Jeffery, to know more and more about Flaubert as an author, a person, a historical figure almost seems to drive the reader crazy. You want to know what happens and so does Jeremy, making the desire and suspense almost unbearable. This absence of information and lack of focus on a certain point or question challenges the reader to look more in depth at the writing of the novel. Although, the text itself does not offer incredible depth and this is what makes the absence of the novel frustrating. The desire to find what Jeffrey is looking for AND the point of the book makes the novel dry, and almost like a mystery.

2 comments:

AJ said...

I'd agree with you Kenya, except it is the lack of information in the text that causes the very problems that would initially grab me as a reader. Because there is little depth in the text I begin to look for "clues" and then suddenly I remember that the reason I'm looking is because there is nothing, and that more frustrates me than engrosses me. This book does have a redeeming quality in its humor (at least to me) but that is very small

David Lavender said...

Great post! I'm too busy just now with essays and all to comment at length, but keep those good insights coming!