Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why I Like Post-Medernism

There is no event in a story that is so significant as to allow it to defy the writers tone. For example, In the Romantic tone of Jane Eyre no event was able to escape that dramatic, romantic frame. By contrast, the Realist tone of Madame Bovary was able to make even the most dramatic and humorous death scene dreadfully dull. I believe that the Post-Modern tone is wonderfully funny and on point. Lines like "I wanted to tell Winterton how really pleased I was the British had burnt the White House to the ground" (p. 47) perfectly exploit the dryness and simplicity of the tone's emotional side. Simple, dry, to the point. It is quite a British sense of humor, often reminding me of irreverent Monty Python skits. I am enjoying this book much more then either of the other two we have read this year. I even found the chronologies, which many students found odd and pointless, a treat that fit wonderfully into the book.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

Glad you're enjoying this. Keep those comments coming!