Tuesday, October 28, 2008

JZ's post

After reviewing Hassan's schematic differences between modernism and postmodernism, I can already tell that Flaubert's Parrot is the quintessence of postmodernism. As I'm sure we've all discussed in our respective classes, this novel (?) incorporates many of the elements that Hassan might consider postmodern. For example, this book is schizophrenic, polymorphous, contains combination, is antiformal, and contains playfulness. Thus far, I suppose that I like this book. This is the first time I have encountered postmodernism, as far as I can recall. This book also gives rise to some interesting questions. For example, why are books not enough? Why do we endeavor to write biographies and relics, so that we can have a deeper understanding of WHY the author might have written what he did. My answer to those who complain of this phenomenon (if anybody does) is that you don't need to read the biographies and relics.

3 comments:

Maddie Crowell said...

Your post shows you that you maintain intellectual perspective into the book, however I wonder if you could use specific examples to back your claims up.

Kirk said...

"schizophrenic, polymorphous, contains combination, is antiformal, and contains playfulness" I would like to see some definition and backing up in HOW these things are shown in the book, though I agree with you that the book is postmodern, I want to know why you chose those examplse

David Lavender said...

Great post! I'm too busy just now with essays and all to comment at length, but keep those good insights coming!