Monday, September 8, 2008

The Beginning

So far, Jane Eyre has been pretty good. By far, my favorite aspect of the autobiography thus far is the way it's written - Bronte does an excellent job of painting vivid pictures in readers minds. It seems she really enjoys using very descriptive and catchy two word phrases such as "agitated hesitation," "careworn countenance," and "unsophisticated accommodations." I don't know why, but for some reason the homophone-like or alliteration filled phrases really catch my attention and interest the literary side of my mind.

Not only does Bronte use superb short expressions, but some of her longer passages are also very mind pleasing. One of my favorites is "comparative silence quelled the Babel clamour of tongues" (56). It feels like so much thought and feeling was poured into each and every description and choice of words - I like that it seems as Bronte is very particular about her writing. Maybe I appreciate this so much because I'm the same way - needing to get every single sentence to sound just right - but nonetheless, I'm quite fond of this work of literature thus far. Every other book I've read in my entire school career may have had excellent theme development or superb foreshadowing but none written with as much care as this one. That's probably completely not true; writers such as Margaret Atwood and Nathaniel Hawthorne most likely thought excruciatingly in depth about their works. I guess it's just nice to finally relate to an author on this level.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

An EXCELLENT post (and not just because you seem to be enjoying the novel). I really admire the way you try to explain your appreciation through direct examples drawn from the text. This is a good impulse. Keep it up!