Monday, September 8, 2008

blog

As the book starts its clear to me that Jane's life is much like many popular stories of today. Jane Eyre is suffering after her parents die, and lives a life with relatives who treat her horribly. Very comparable to Harry Potter, Jane escapes her life of torment to a new school. She learns the way to be a lady, and when the book leaps forward it is clear she has become one. So far I'm mildly intrigued by this book, though i feel the real story has yet to begin. I feel as though we are still in the part of the story that sets up the main action of the novel, but i guess thats just me being used to modern novels filled with action. I do like the characters. I think Jane is a strong character and will continue to grow throughout the novel. Though i dont think Jane will gain magical powers anytime soon, I'm eager to see her transformation and growth in the rest of the reading.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

The comparison to Harry Potter is actually not all that far fetched (the fact that both characters are orphans, the school setting during the Lowood sections, etc.). However, I wish you'd pursue your own good ideas further (i.e. at greater length). For instance, I'd like to know more specifically why you think Jane is a strong character (and what you think the source of that strength is). Write more!