Monday, September 8, 2008

Jane Eyre first impressions

When I first began to read the book I found myself finding it rather difficult to read unless I forced myself to commit. The language in the book reads strangely, with different forms of cases and other words, but that wasn't the biggest issue. I believe that the biggest thing that got me was a strange plodding sensation to the plot. The moment when she was thrown into the red room though, it inspired me to look a little more at the book instead of tossing it aside the second I finished the required pages. At first Jane seems like a very fiery girl. When her cousins and aunt oppress her and treat her unfairly she reacts with anger and indignation, that often gets her into trouble. The two impressions I received of Mr. Brocklehurst were quite different, so it seems it was to Jane as well. When he first comes into view he is a calm man who leaves in her a sense of hope and banishes the never-ending torment and injustice she seems to feel. But the second time, he inflicts the same injustices on her as she was receiving from the Reeds before she left. I found most of the school area dull and uninteresting, though I did find the character of Helen Burns quite interesting. She seems to go through life as a quiet genius who accepts her lot in life simply and complains not. When Jane is staring off into the distance longing for adventure and the ability to escape from the prison-seeming area she resided in. It amused me how she then asked for a new servitude, and the same old bell rang out, calling her back to her old servitude. This also shows a new change. I thought that she would stick to her prayer for liberty, instead she longed for servitude! The younger Jane Eyre would certainly have never wished for servitude, but more and more liberty. Then the book moves on again and she comes into occupation as the governess of Adele, the young girl. Once again the dreary life of solitude begins. And once again I became dragged into the dreariness, though for me the French was exciting to see. Then when Jane once more longed for adventure and set out on the path to send the mail! Such a simple thing, yet I understand the longing for adventure and have gazed many times out my own window at the massive windows, wishing I could start off on some adventure. The encounter on the road with master Rochester suggests, in the language that it was written that it has a much larger import than was hinted at in the book. So far, the first few chapters were dull, but at the same time, fiery, for Jane was active and always about doing something, or getting in trouble, or complaining about unfairness. Then she begins to become more of a passive person, just sitting there watching the world go by her instead of jumping in and taking charge. The book has begun to enthrall me at the same time as it pushes me off, if the excitement or fiery passion would return, I would enjoy this book more at the moment. We'll see in the coming chapters.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

Good post! I'm interested to hear what you think this "larger import" might be!