Monday, September 8, 2008

Yah!!

I so called that! As I was reading the horse-falling incident, I was trying to guess who it was, and I thought that it would be Mr. Rochester. On a different note, the book started out really slow, torture to read through endless descriptions, made worse by the fact that I had to read it out loud. (I live with four dogs who love to bark, not to mention the TV, so I read out loud to better concentrate on what I was reading.) Learn from me, if you are not crazy about the book, do not read out loud! Once Jane left for Lowood, I found the pages easier to read, as they got more entertaining, and better able to keep my attention. (Listen to me, I sound weird!) I can kind of...connect to Jane better when she is eighteen. Her emotions are more stable, and easier to relate to. It's kinda exciting to read about how independent she is when she is mailing her ad and making the decision to go and teach somewhere, and she is given that freedom easily! It's different and...cool...neat...I can't find the word...to read about freedom like that. I regret now reading the back cover, because now as I am reading, I am only waiting for when Jane will realize that she has fallen in love with Mr. Rochester! Hopefully it will happen soon, I don't think that I can wait much longer.

3 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
clayton said...

agreed. Pretty much up until she arrives at Thornwood it's incredibly slow and boring, but it picks up at that point. Her life's pretty depressing. Just about everyone she knows and associates with is mean to her or doesn't care. Her going off to school was definately the best thing that happened to her.

David Lavender said...

Ha! What a fun post to read (I love picturing you--surrounded by your dogs, the TV blaring--shouting out this Victorian prose. I think even Bronte would get a kick out of that.

I think she would appreciate, too, your ability to identify with her heroine.

Write more! I'm anxious to hear more of your views on the book.