Wednesday, September 24, 2008

ESSAY!!!

So I don't know about the rest of you but after Mr.Lavender assigned the most recent essay I had mixed emotions. I'm more then excited because Mr.Lavender makes it sound so easy... a little too easy. So I decided I would start brainstorming... Oh my word! Practically impossible... I couldn't remember all the scenes let alone all the details of Jane Eyre. So I found myself at quite a loss until I continued reading... As I read I set myself to find Rochester's presence after Jane has left. It was crazy. I thought it may have been an outlandish task but it is really working for me. For instance (I don't know how I could remember this) But you know when Jane is wandering around hungry cold and alone and then she follows the Candles to the house of the knitting women... Well the two candles (page 382) struck me and it seemed vaguely familiar. I flipped back and on page 141 Rochester has sent for Jane to have tea with him and on the mantle were two candles. And on the table to match were another couplet of candles! A reminder to Jane of Rochester's unrelenting love for her! Holy Cow! This whole relating scene's thing is easier then I thought. Good Luck pupils.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

Excellent use of your reading log as a way to explore your own reactions to thee text and to fumble around for an essay idea--and look at what you've come up with: a very neat (and probably significant) link between these two candles. What are they meant to do? To guide people (like Jane)? If so, can you think about the role light (not necessarily fire) plays throughout the novel (you could even go way back to that mysterious light that appears in the red room--indeed, maybe you could start with that scene and let it provide you with entry into this subject of light's role throughout the novel (there are other scenes that would work as well). Again, good work here--take it further!