Thursday, September 25, 2008

St. John's a Wart

I don't trust St. John. He is an extremely odd and somewhat obnoxious character. As we see more and more of him, he just gets wierder and wierder. I mean, out of the blue he asks Jane to marry him???? It doesn't even make sense. He seems to have no emotions and tells her that he wouldn't marry her because he loved her but because he loved god. Who wants to marry someone like that? Not only does he act like a stone wall, but he is quite demeaning towards women. Lav-dawg pointed out to me one scene where Jane is sitting while St. John is standing. Think back to Rochester when they were both standing. Bronte clearly wants the reader to look at St. John as an oppressive, male character. He's very creepy and I just don't like him at all.
I feel like religion and God have all the sudden become much more prominent in the book. Ever since Jane left Thornfield. Perhaps Bronte is trying to make some statement about this. If she is, she's lost me because I don't feel like anything relating to religion is tying together in any way. It's like a lot of her characters; they just come and go, but you never learn the whole story. To be honest, I don't like this. She needs to tie things off at some point, preferably before the very end of the novel. Also, to think that Rochester has disappeared for the rest of the book is inconceivable. Bronte couldn't just cut him off that abruptly. Who knows though; I guess we'll find out...

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

Up early and blogging--I love it! Love your title, too (the play on St. John's wort). I think you are right to be confused about the 'sudden' injection of religion (though, if you think way back to the opening scenes at Gateshead and Lowood,, religion (9and religious hypocrisy) were certainly evident in the person of Mr. Brocklehurst. Still, what is Bronte's attitude, here. Is she atheistic, or pantheistic (a la Emerson and those other transcendentalists who saw God in Nature)? This might make for a good paper topic (you could use the scene of Jane,desolate and alone on the heath, spending her first night out under the stars as an 'entry point' into a discussion of religion throughout the book.

At any rate, good post. I like that you seem to be in good humor first thing in the morning. Lots of coffee?