Thursday, September 25, 2008

Josh's Analysis Through the end of the novel

Sorry about my outdated previous post.  I probably forgot to post it yesterday, so here is my post for today:
I concur completely with Walker's post stating that Jane is a bitch.  Truly, it does seem a bit incongruous with anything I'd expect from Jane, that she left Rochester to his lonesome self, in which time he became incredibly despondent, and then she returned to him when she felt it convenient.  On the other hand, he did break her heart originally by almost committing bigamy and by being deceitful.  At least they have now sinned each other.  Although I was prosecuting Rochester during our debate, I have come to sympathize with him.  First, he tries to save everybody, including the Jamaican wife, as Thornfield was burning.  Then he has to endure a whole year or so in a despondent and pathetic state of being.  I now believe that he genuinely loves Jane.  I do however, don't approve of the ending.  It seems incongruous with everything Jane has been working towards.  The bulk of the novel was Jane's transition from a poor burdensome orphan to eminent status.  Sure she is endowed with a massive fortune, but I assumed that she would elevate her status even more.  She was slowly but surely ascending to what?  A simple life in the woods with a semi-blind man?  Whatever, as long as she is happy.  

1 comment:

Neve said...

Josh, I completely agree with every thing you said, Jane through out the novel is looking for some thing and even when she finds it (rochesters love) she peaces on him the next day????