Monday, September 22, 2008

Lightning Strikes MY Fancy

So... although this took place quite a few chapters back, let me just say that I LOVE the whole lightning splitting the chestnut tree in half symbolism! Although so blatantly obvious foreshadowing Rochester and Jane's split and placed at the very end of 23, I just really like the image of a tree essentially cracking in half by some force of nature. In some ways, I think this event could also symbolize the breaking of a heart - most likely Rochester's after Jane leaves Thornfield. I can vividly picture two people somewhat grown into a chestnut tree, being torn apart by a beam of lightening, Rochester's well kept secret. 

Another side note - why did Rochester keep that from Jane so long? I mean I see that he was trying to conceal his not-so-glorious past and wanted a new start, free of a psychotic arranged wife but to say that Rochester is completely unguilty is absolutely not true. I didn't have much of an opinion when I read the chapter but now, I think I'm in total support of accusing Rochester of bigotry. Maybe being on the prosecution side of our class debate and arguing against the defense for more than an hour caused me to think this way but whatever it is, I can't seem to think of Rochester in the same light - he's now stained with deception in my mind.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

"Stained with deception"--Ouch! I think Jane herself would like that phrase (and maybe even use it). Of course, this begs the question: what, if anything, could wash that stain away? Is it enough for Jane simply to forgive him? (Apparently not, because she's already done that, but still flees Thornfield). Maybe Rochester has to suffer in some way (indeed, was Jane's suffering on her way to Moors End a punishment of sorts?). Keep reading, and let's see if there's anything to the fact that that poor old chestnut tree is still bound at the roots, even though its upper reaches have been split asunder.