Thursday, September 25, 2008

Passion and "almost" forgotten love.

Bitterness between Mr. Rivers and Jane is obviously apparent, although only on Mr. Rivers account. Once again though, Jane is so passionate. She tries to make peace between her and Mr. Rivers at all costs, but not to the point in which she forsakes her beliefs. I find this aspect of Jane Eyre so powerful and upright. I respect this in Jane’s character the utmost. She is gentle when needed, but at the same time so strong. I stand in awe of her courage and strength, being able to say no to someone who has shown her so much kindness. I also awe at Jane’s will and strength, due to the fact that if she were to marry him, so many people she could help within the mission field. Although, two wrongs, don’t make a right, and I’m more than glad that Jane does not forget this. There is also another factor that intrigues me, the reoccurrence of the moon. The moon being a representation of romance is confusing. It is obvious that no love between Mr. Rivers and Jane is present, so then who does this romance turn to? This question leaves me to believe that Jane’s forgotten lover is near.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

Way to pick up on the moon!

As for Jane's strength of character, I'm glad that you find it both impressive and admirable. Indeed, as a woman, Jane seems to possess many qualities that could make her a role model to readers like you (this, in essence, is the question addressed by the scholarship essay I mentioned in class the other day). Enumerating and discussing those qualities in the context of a particular scene (maybe her rejection of St. John's proposal) might provide a good focus for your essay.