Monday, September 15, 2008

The Essence of Time

So far this book has made me realize quite a few things. First of all, it makes me recognize how different the actual sense of “time” was alluded to in the past. People just seemed to have more of it. The way the "elite" class consumes there time with charades, grand dinners, and singing, demonstrates how little they really did. Their leisurely and luxurious outfits and demeanor add the high class image they all so wish to acclaim. It is hard for me to relate to this type of behavior because I feel as though the today’s race of society, is constantly pushing me forward. It does however make it easier for me to understand why Jane has so much time to just sit around and think and think and think. Time in an essence is controlling this book as a whole. People keep commenting on how they are ready for it to get rolling, and I must agree. This entire courtship between Jane and Mr. Rochester has become a nuisance. I wish that something would just happen between the two of them and get it over with. Everything is so drawn out and I feel like I am forever waiting for something to come of all this build up. I feel as if a transition phase is coming on and something dramatic is going to happen. In the last few chapters (I am on Chapter 23), the constant recurring symbolism with curtains, the moon, the passion of fire burning, the redroom, and even the evident feministic values, has developed so vividly that I want some closure that makes everything tie together and have a reason. I have to give it up to Bronte for keeping the reader intrigued though. She has unexpectedly included this new mystery of Grace Poole and Mr. Mason. Again everything succumbs to time. When will the time come for Jane and Mr. Rochester to finally get together? When will the time come when the reader discovers what Grace Poole is really hiding? When will the reader see the independent woman Jane claims to be revive herself? Time, time, time. This books seems to be all about timing and not only has it made me understand a new view of how slowed down it used to be, but I have also realized how slower time lets you appreciate the details and anticipate the future.

2 comments:

David Lavender said...

An interesting riff on 'time'--I enjoyed reading this. I was struck both by how much you seem to envy all that time these Victorians had at their disposal (time to "think and think and think") and how, at the same time, you seem so impatient for things to move along. I wonder if the fast pace of contemporary society prevents us from enjoying the way that Bronte is clearly trying to drag out the action of her novel (even as she piques our curiosity on so many levels).

Walker said...

Sucka MC! Good post, I couldn't agree more with the fact about time. Don't you wish we had that time??? I agree with the high class image also; perhaps Bronte is trying to poke fun at it. As for the impatience at what is going to happen, that is how a good book is supposed to read. You'll just have to wait.