Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Marriage is fo' fools

I think Jane is ultimately on a quest for freedom—As a woman who clearly believes in equality of the sexes and independence for each individual, I feel that marrying Mr. Rochester is going to lead her into a RUT. I’m all for love, but I know that when you love someone, you become dependent on them which might not fly with Jane. Jane is a woman who has never, in her entire life experienced one hundred percent freedom and independence… whether she be bound by the brooding gates of Gatestead, the locked door of the “red room”, by Lowood security, or even her own comfort at Thornfield…The last thing she is going to want to do is forever trap herself in a marriage where she is completely dependent. At least right now she makes her own wages and the possibility of leaving/ moving on if she so chooses. Once she marries Rochester however, she is bound by holy matrimony. Just as she has been bound her entire life.

4 comments:

Marcus said...

i think jane finds security in Edward which she has never known

dogs down under said...

I agree with you Em...I think that Rochester and Jane's engagement will fail. If the chesnut tree represents their relationship then they are screwed. Part of me wants Jane to stay becuase of love but she needs to travel and be more free.

Emma G. said...

I TAKE IT ALL BACK DAMNIT! all I want is for Jane and Edward to GO AT IT like they BOTH know they want to.





arg.

David Lavender said...

Equality and independence are, indeed, essential qualities in any relationship Jane will freely enter into (in other words, before she'll "go at it" with anyone, she needs to know she's being accepted as an equal partner). Of course, revelations soon to come (which you've already read--I'm way behind in these comments) will through this 'balance' all out of whack--and she'll split.

So what happens next?