Monday, September 15, 2008

Put yourself in Plain Jane's shoes...

Each day is a carbon copy of the last, no silver linings exist, and touches of grey are all you see. Rare changes of scenery cause brief periods of excitement and the only hope lies faintly in the distant horizon, a land in which monotonous is just a word and not a way of life. Jane does an impeccable job of looking at the brighter side of things, instead of dwelling on her boring, depressed way of life, Jane focuses on the positive and entertains herself in a time of sorrow. I'm sure living with her evil step-aunt greatly facilitated her positive outlook on life but if I were her, I would have broken down long ago. Instead, she lives on with inspiring persistence.

Thus far, this novel has allowed me to see the brighter side of things much easier rather than dwelling on the negatives. The fact that things could always be much worse is even more evident in my life after learning of Jane's experience. Thanks Bronté!!

2 comments:

David Lavender said...

I'm interested in all this talk of "grey" (you might be on to something here), and I'm glad that Bronte has inspired you to be more of an optimist even in the face of hardship. But I'm also very interested in hearing specific reactions to the events as they unfold. Try and ground your responses more securely in the text--I think this will set you up better for the more formal essay to come.

Walker said...

I don't know if I agree with you Sir Bloggmaster. I feel that Jane doesn't only look at the bright side of life. She is certainly happy to be at Thornfield but is she really jumping around excited about what ever she can be excited about? I don't know. I still feel she is apathetic at times and does not only look on the bright side.