Monday, September 15, 2008

This was by far the strangest section of the book so far.  I’m not quit sure what is going on with the person that all the guests, including Jane, go to see in the library. The whole thing is just really weird. It talked about how before Jane left the room to go see the person in the library Miss Ingram looked pale and was starring at a book but not reading it and then when Jane returned a while later everything was back to normal and everyone was talking and laughing like nothing happened. I’m confused by this…The color red is also mentioned a couple of times through out the last couple of chapters. The whole thing that happens on the third floor with Mason is also very strange. How the doctor describes the teeth marks on the flesh is very creepy. I also wonder what the medicine is that Mr. Rochester gives to Mason.  I’ve also started to doubt my previous thoughts of Mr. Rochester and Jane getting together. Im beginning to believe that he thinks of her as more of just a friend now and someone he can talk to. He has begun to speak of how Miss Ingram is the one he wants to marry, which makes me mad because she isn’t a very nice person and she doesn’t like Adele and I would just rather he choose Jane as a wife.  “…Your conscience sanctifies nor you judgment approves.” There is somewhat of a class separation between the two but what little hope I have goes towards them still getting together in the end. When Mr. Rochester talks about how he wants Jane to be there for him “the night before I am married” this is sad its sort of like torture for Jane, she admits she loves him yet she keeps getting shut down. I’m curious about this “error” that Mr. Rochester speaks about, I think it may have something to do with Grace Poole but I’m not sure yet, hopefully the author indulges us with the answer soon! I like how Jane goes back to her family and sort of makes up with her cousins. It shows a lot of courage and forgiveness on Janes part, after all those years they treated her poorly yet she still gives them a second chance and goes back to help her aunt in a time of need. The whole chapter is a nice closure to the past events. 

2 comments:

David Lavender said...

Great post! I like how you refer directly to the text. I like, too, how your curiosity seems to compel you to read further (and I am anxious to hear your reactions to some of these 'mysteries' as they begin to be revealed. I think you're right to wonder just how cruel Rochester is being to Jane--but this may--or may not--change in Chapter XXIII. Read on!

Anna Morgans said...

Have your doubts about them getting together vanished yet?