Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am way behind so this is kind of a step back for everyone-sorry. I like this book, but I feel like sometimes Bronte is holding my hand too much as I am reading. I think that when she tries to introduce clues of a deeper meaning it is a little forced. I know that it is supposed to signify the empowerment of the woman, but I feel like Bronte is force feeding me moonlit scenes. Of course, the “rising moon… [had to have been] brightening” right before Jane saves Rochester from his fall on the horse. Every time Jane “gather[s]… up flesh and strength” of course her “thin-crescent destiny seem[s]… to enlarge” at the same time. For me it takes away all of the suspense. Or I guess it could be adding to the suspense if you look at it that way. I just don’t like how every time Jane does something cool it has to be preceded by a moonrise. Once is fun, five hundred million times is a bore.
Speaking of preceding, I feel like something is going on with Grace Pool. She certainly is a freak show, but like that she is a “chamber-door…groping” weirdo. She keeps things interesting. The thing that trips me up, is that she always appears after Jane starts like being horny. That might sound weird, and this is a wild guess but I think that there might be something to that. Right after Jane pronounces that women need to “exercise for their faculties” she hears Grace Pool’s “eccentric murmurs”. I feel like she has to do with a sort of love triangle with Rochester included. I feel like Jane thinks that Grace Pool might have been banging Rochester because she is investigating her beauty and she says that she never was pretty and I think that there might be something to that. Rochester likes Jane and she is not pretty. Maybe he likes ugly chicks. It is like a womanly, lunacy, horny, catty thing going on. That is why I think that she lit Rochester’s bed on fire. Maybe she is jealous. I don’t know. Just a guess. I really want to know what is up with her. She is a freak.
Also one thing that I found interesting is the way that Jane is watching the relationship between Rochester and Miss Ingram. It is kind of like the story that Rochester told. When he is watching Celine and her lover, he “drew the curtain” and watched from behind the window. Jane does the same thing. She sits in the corner of the room and watches Rochester and Miss Ingram. In Rochester’s story, he jumps out from behind the curtain and cuts off the affair and the next day he found the guys she was with and “left a bullet in one of his poor etiolated arms”. I want there to be a parallel there too. I want Jane to burst out from behind the curtain and shoot Miss Ingram. Figuratively speaking. Jane has got to get Rochester in the end. She will.

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

Glad you're catching up--and for someone who seems a little miffed that Bronte is holding (or guiding) your hand too much, you certainly seem to be her model reader (someone who at least notes, if does not always appreciate, the 'clues' she drops in the text). As for the sexual nature of the "tension" that accompanies the moon, this is an astute observation--one that makes revelations to come (no spoilers here) a bit more problematic in terms of the book's ostensible feminism. Keep reading! I want you hear your reactions to events yet to occur!