Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Josh's Analysis Through Chapter 23

I must be candid with you; I have adopted a much better disposition towards this book in the past few chapters. Scenes such as the Mason incident and the new inquiries that have arisen in my mind have resulted in much less abhorrence towards the book on my part. Truly, my inquisitive mind is the sole reason I am still reading. Why is Grace Poole still living at Thornfield? What did the "capitol error" by Rochester entail? On another note, I am incredibly incredulous that Mrs. Reed retained so much malice towards Jane, despite Jane's 9 year absence from Gateshead. I disagree with Walker, when he states that Eliza and Georgianna have retained every bit of "snobbiness" from their previous encounter. Truly, it seems to me as if these two girls actually take a small amount of interest in Jane's life, however, I still think that these girls (especially Georgianna) are elitist. As aforementioned in one of my previous posts, I believe that social class is another major theme that Bronte is trying to convey to the reader. The elitist attitude of Rochester's guests and Jane's cousins, the shameful attitude of the wealthy Brochelhurst, the actions of Mrs. Reed, the lavish and ultimately fatal lifestyle of John Reed, etc. all lead me to believe that, like F. Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby, Bronte is making a statement about class. I do, however, believe that the most obvious theme, even though it is cliché, is something along the lines of love overpowering all. Truly, Roch and Jane marry despite the class difference, as do Jane's parents. In addition, one aspect of this book that I do appreciate is the ubiquitous motifs that are present in the novel. (ex. the moon portends to Jane while the sun does so for Roch.)

2 comments:

TJT said...

very insightful look at the reading josh

David Lavender said...

Have you "adopted" this new disposition, or has it been thrust upon you by scintillating prose, engaging characters and provacative action? I wonder.

As for the issue of class-I think the comparison to Gatsby is a fruitful one (good for you!), but you may want to refine it a bit. Certainly, Bronte seems concerned with class--but she seems much more focused on issues of equity (especially between the genders). Like Fitzgerald, who has Nick point out in the opening chapters, that "a sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth," Bronte seems to feel that character trumps class--and both Rochester and Jane seem superior in this regard to, say, Blanche Ingram or Mrs. Reed.