Monday, September 15, 2008

*SPOILERS!!!* Details PAST 296!

so....dear auntie reed dies. boohoo. blah blah blah. Let's get to the GOOD stuff. such as the line: "Thank you Mr. Rochester, for your great kindness. I am strangely glad to get back again to you; and wherever you are is my home - my only home." OH PASSIONATE JANE! Why is it so hard for even the passionate to grasp their true feelings of LOVE!!!!!!???? Well, i guess she has already steadfastly explained to us readers that "he made me love him without even looking at me" but just now, pg. 283, is she just now expressing a TINY amount of her feelings for him!
OH DEAR! How I HATED Mr. Rochester. I found him rude, arrogant, too quick to let his tongue loll out of his mouth, and above all, so disrespectful to my poor innocent Jane. Oh, how my emotions feel just as toyed with as Jane's' certainly do now! Isn't he just about the sweetest, kindest, silliest man ever? Oh, he indeed is a fool in love. AH!
AND THEY KISSED! And they kissed repeatedly!
I could not hold it in any longer. The suspense was killing me. Yet, before that, on page 288, the funniest line occurs, as Jane is trying silently to slip away from his notice in the garden and she fails as he says: 'Jane, come and look at this fellow.' Immediately she thinks: 'could his shadow feel?' Oh this made me laugh genuinely! Oh poor Jane, not even realizing that Rochester has basically STALKED her to the garden! :) I am all smiles. Can shadows feel? Ahh.
And then Ireland arises in conversation and I wanted to strike a match against Mr. Rochester's' heart and watch it burn. Oh, how Jane's flood of tears would have immediately extinguished the fire! She absolutely ROCKS for bearing her heart and soul to a man who has just confessed that he never wants to see her again and never will, because he is to me married to another, who she KNOWS he has no passion or sympathy for! How I fear I would have gone off in my own little corner and cried vehemently yet never let him understand the truth. Thanks for being AWESOME Jane, or as some may say, just have an overbearing of emotion that could not longer be held in.
And then of course, Rochester's' trickery of false jealousy sort of nips him in the butt.
"My bride! What bride? I have no bride!"
As if he is daft enough to have forgotten that he has tricked Jane's pure, young, almost innocent heart. Yet, I cannot bear full anger towards him for this false intrigue of jealousy stricken in Jane. Jealousy can bring out the worst in a person, and ironically, this trait that she herself labeled 'worst' was in fact her best! Because her best (which Rochester sees as ALL of her) brings out the best in Edward. and the best in BOTH of them, and page 288:
" 'so,' he added, enclosing me in his arms....." JUST GO READ IT AGAIN!!!!!!!! IT'S BRILLIANT!!!! AAAAhahahaha!
Yet, most peculiarly, this great and joy-filled night ends with a gigantic thunder-storm, (yes, embraced in the rain is sooo romantic!) but, back to the main point, 'the great horse-chestnut at the bottom of the orchard had been struck by lightning in the night, and half of it split away.'
What could this possibly mean? Is is foreshadowing of some great tragic ending? Will one half be split from the other forever in a great storm???? (Symbolic of course, I don't mean the winds are going to carry Rochester away from Jane during a hurricane in the West Indies or anything....)
Ah, my curiosity is great! I must go read more!

1 comment:

David Lavender said...

A delightful post (I really enjoyed reading this one--thanks!). I'm impressed that you've managed to pick up on so many details whose significance you may not fully understand yet (the 'West Indian' moth, the line: "My bride...?, etc.). And you're right to wonder what the splitting of the chestnut tree (under which Rochester makes his proposal of marriage) might portend. Hmmm...

Read on. If you like this chapter (which apparently you did!), I don't think you'll be disappointed in events yet to come!